Formed in 1933, Fidelis Care is a New York-based health insurance company. It has its headquarters in New York, Unites States. Centene Corporation is its parent organization. It has a staff of about 4,550. It has its offices stretched throughout New York state including New York City, Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. As of 2018, it has served more than 1.7 million New York residents.
History and Acquisition
Fidelis Health Care was first established as the NYC Catholic Health Plan Inc. It was mainly formed by the Catholic Medical Center of Brooklyn, Queens Inc, and the Diocese Brooklyn to serve the poor and medically underserved in 1933. It primarily held its operations in Brooklyn but then expanded to Queens and The Bronx in 1994. Then the bishops of the Catholic Diocese worked to expand the license statewide from 1994 to 1996. In 1997, Fidelis successfully expanded to Western New York along with the acquisition of Better Health Plan, which was a Buffalo-based health maintenance organization (HMO).
Some of Fidelis Health Care’s works are-
- Fidelis Care operated several government-sponsored health insurance programs, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Child Health Plus (introduced in 1997).
- Fidelis Health Care provides long-term plans with various qualified plans on NY State Health Marketplace.
- Fidelis Care began Fidelis Medicare Advantage and Dual Advantage to serve the members in
- CenterCare which was a New York City-based Medicaid managed care plan was acquired by Fidelis Care in 2008 after becoming a subsidiary of Fidelis Care in 2005.
- Fidelis Care launched a Fidelis Medicaid Advantage Plus (HMO) in 2009, which was a managed long-term care plan for individuals 18 years of age or older who have a chronic illness or disability.
- Fidelis Care was approved to be a Qualified Health Plan in 2013, which allowed it to offer products through the NY State of Health.
- Fidelis Care introduced its Every Child Covered campaign on June 23, 2017, which raised awareness for children without health insurance.
Centene Corporation announces that it would acquire Fidelis Care for US $3.75 billion on 12 September 2017 and on 2 July 2018, Centene completed the acquisition of Fidelis Care.
What Fidelis Care Offers-
Currently, Fidelis Care is known to serve more than 2.1 million children and adults with the right health insurance and coverage or assistance they need in all ages and all stages of life.
Along with their regional offices set up in different cities, they also have more than 20 communities throughout the states which enables Fidelis Care to serve local members or those who want to know about or have questions regarding health insurance for themselves or their families.
Fidelis Care has outreach from inner-city neighborhoods to the most rural towns. Fidelis Care works closely with hundreds of partners to reach local residents in need and become a resource for them from provider offices to schools, churches, food pantries to community agencies.
Fidelis Care provides its clients with-
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Qualified Health Plans
- Child Health Plus, Essential Plan
- Health and Recovery Plan
- Managed Long Term Care
- Medicare Advantage
- Dual Advantage
- Medicaid Advantage Plus
Fidelis also has its reach online for people to access and an amazing online community to help those in need of information about healthcare or health insurance. Some contacts from Fidelis Care are-
- To contact Fidelis Care: Contact Us
- To know more about Fidelis Care and their health insurance plans, visit: About Us
- To have access to the Fidelis Blog about living healthier and getting the latest health information, visit: The Fidelis Care Blog
- To get the latest Fidelis Company News, visit: Fidelis Newsroom
- To know more about the Fidelis Care health insurance plans and health maintenance programs, visit: Quality Management Program
Benefits of Fidelis Care:
Before understanding the benefits of having Fidelis Care Insurance, one has to understand how health insurance works. Health insurance acts as the backup of healthcare expensed for you and your family members. It can help in any health issues, from preventive care to emergency services at a much lower cost compared to the payments done from our pockets. Health insurance also helps us to-
- Manage our health costs. Using health insurance is much cheaper than paying out of our pockets in the long run, especially if someone in our family needs serious and expensive medical attention.
- Stay healthy. Health insurance allows up to get in touch with the doctor and have access to preventive care to keep ourselves healthy.
- Prepare for the unexpected. In case of an emergency, or a family member falling seriously ill, healthcare insurance gives us the peace of mind that our healthcare needs will be met.
Fidelis Care offers a plan for everyone to have access to sufficient healthcare so that in case they need it, they will have no tension because their insurance will help them cover expenses in their time of need.
Fidelis has some basic health care plans that help the patients get primary health coverage. Their basic plans include-
Medicaid Managed Care
This service offers coverage for children and adults who meet income, resources, age, and disability requirements. Prescription drugs listed in the formulary are covered by this plan, but it is to be noted that this plan doesn’t cover all prescription drugs.
Child Health Plus
This plan offers comprehensive coverage for children under the age of 19. This plan has no requirement, almost every child is eligible regardless of income or immigration status. This plan covers prescribed and non-prescribed drugs as long as they are ordered by a provider inside Fidelis Care Network.
Depending on your income eligibility, Fidelis Care offers 4 tiers of this plan.
1) Cost Sharing:
Fidelis doesn’t have deductibles, for example, you may have to copay up to $35 for medical services and prescription drugs.
2) In-Network Coverage:
Services from outside Fidelis Care aren’t covered by Fidelis, because this company has in-network coverage only. So, it’s good to recheck if the provider is inside the Fidelis Network or not before accessing a plan. But still, emergency services are always covered, but to avoid unexpected surprise bills, learn more at Surprise Bills.
3) Treatment Cost Calculator:
To estimate the cost of the certain providers under your essential plan, clients can use the Treatment Cost Calculator.
4) Smoking Cessation:
Fidelis Care is ready to help you with all the services that to need to quit smoking, Fidelis Smoking Cessation Care includes full coverage of smoking cessation counseling, prescription, and non-prescription smoking cessation products such as nasal sprays, inhalers, over-the-counter nicotine patches, and gum.
5) Flu Shots:
All essential plan holders are eligible for a free Flu Shot which they can receive from any doctor’s office or pharmacy from August 1 to April 30.
- Qualified Health Plans (Metal-Level Products)
A Qualified Health Plan has the same elements as an Essential Plan, but the difference is that this plan will have some combination of cost-sharing, such as copays, deductibles, coinsurance, and an out-of-pocket maximum.
Fidelis Care is always there to help customers to understand the cost of your care. They can contact Fidelis Care by 1-888-FIDELIS (1-888-343-3547).
To have a better understanding of the plans mentioned above, one can visit the official site of Fidelis Care to learn more about Manage Your Plan & Understand Your Cost.
Fidelis also offers Preventive Care for people of all ages. The plans Fidelis Care has for individual age groups are categorized as-
Children Under Age 19
Alcohol, drug, and tobacco assessment for adolescents;
Blood pressure screening;
Gonorrhea preventive medication;
Hepatitis B screening;
Iron supplements for children;
Obesity screening and counseling;
Oral health risk assessment.
Abdominal aortic aneurysm one-time screening;
Alcohol misuse screening and counseling;
Blood pressure screening;
Diabetes (Type 2) screening;
Sexually transmitted infection (STI) prevention; counseling
Statin preventive medication;
Adults Over 50
Aspirin use to prevent cardiovascular disease and colorectal cancer;
Colorectal cancer screening;
Lung cancer screening;
Hepatitis C screening.
- Breast cancer genetic test counseling (BRCA);
- Breast cancer mammography screenings;
- Breast cancer chemoprevention counseling;
- Cervical cancer screening;
- Pap test;
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) DNA test;
- Chlamydia infection screening;
- Domestic and interpersonal violence screening and counseling;
- Gonorrhea screening;
- HIV screening and counseling;
- Osteoporosis screening;
- Rh incompatibility screening;
- Sexually transmitted infections counseling;
- Urinary incontinence screening.
Women who are pregnant, or may become pregnant
- Anemia screening on a routine basis;
- Breastfeeding comprehensive support and counseling;
- Folic acid supplements;
- Gestational diabetes screening;
- Preeclampsia prevention and screening;
- Syphilis screening.
To learn more about the Fidelis Care Prevention Plans, visit Preventive Services
Fidelis Care has been helping the residents of New York in maintaining their health and fitness by assuring them and clearing the burden of medical cost coverage. Fidelis Care will continue to make peoples’ lives easier in the future too.
You May Also Like: